Monday, April 11, 2011

Play by Post Humanspace?


I've been considering starting a play by post or pbem Humanspace Empires game. I think it would be good for some additional play-testing, setting and rules development and could be fun.  Warning though, I have little experience with such games other than playing in a few over the last 10 years or so.

It would need to be pretty laid back/glacial at least for the now.  I think I could manage 2-3 exchanges/turns per week.

I know of at least one potential player.  Anyone else interested and if so which face of Humanspace to explore? Interstellar scoundrels/ tomb robbers/treasure hunters? Empire Navy or Scouts? Sword and Planet plus Shén on Mars? Space Legionaires on Tekumel? Orions (Áylita needs Men)? Other ideas?

Other space news...

The Treasure of the Amethyst Dragon/DOOMQUEST Micro-Campaign is taking a bit longer than expected but should be finished soon  and I'm still interested in an eventual Skype play test event.

The creator of DOOMQUEST  dropped by ix and he has a new blog.

At Netherwerks, the Young Space Lord's Guide to Building Solar Systems, more than a great beginning for the future pulp planetary system generator planned for Humanspace Empires: Book 3.  Green Suns Included!

At the Expanse, there is an original Humanspace monster, the Necobra, inspired by a notorious Warhammer mini.

...and  Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind discussed at Old School Heretic.

LATE EDITION UPDATE 

 Another new Humanspace monster, the Giant Kryptonian Tentacled Snake and more space madness at Swords & Stitchery.

18 comments:

  1. You know you can always count on me for a game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to toot my own horn here but its Tentacle Tuesday ~ New Monster For Human Space Empires!
    http://swordsandstitchery.blogspot.com/2011/04/tenticle-tuesday-new-monster-for-human.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a pbem to play in. Sounds like great timing. I'll pitch my cap into the circle.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hard time holding one thing in my head for over 30 seconds, much less remembering that you asked TWO questions. :)

    Okay, second question answer time . . .

    Not a real good answer, really, but I think I'd like to explore creepy alien relic stuff and, you know, SURVIVE the multidimensional mutagenic parasitic onslaught we accidentally unleash. Something like that, anyway. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shen want play. Buy Big Dice. Much rollings to be had. Where to be looting please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I've just downloaded the playtest rules and would really like to play in the PBeM. Glacial pace suits me, and I like the idea of tomb robbery/treasure hunting.

    David aka Kobold

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in if there's space. Time is at a premium, but I'll just have to find more. I'll explore any of those facets very willingly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Count me in please! Also, I would say Empire Navy/Scouts. Sounds like Swords & Sorcery meets Star Trek to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. With a lazy post schedule, I think I would definitely be interested. Fair warning, the pace of PBEM games can be frustrating. You may need to rethink turn-by-turn combat as well. But for exploring a setting, PBEM games are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok...those who have already replied are in. I probably need to cut it off here. It seems that space looting is the majority choice. I'll send out emails later with more details.

    Any recommendations for a good site for the posts? or prefer pbem?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Risus: I don't see turn by turn combat working either. I'll see what kind of balance I can come up with for abstracted combat vs. turn by turn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Unseen Servant forum is a great choice for PbP games.

    http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  13. @migellito: I'll check it out. Thanks. You're in too if still interested.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had a lot of luck in setting up a Google Site for play-by-post play. I also did a lot of forum gaming back in the day...

    You know, I wonder if there has ever been a game that was specifically designed to support play-by-post games. If not, there should be.

    Risus works great for PbP, mostly because combat rounds can cover a lot of actions and any particular combat is over fairly quickly. And any combat can be resolved as a single roll where appropriate

    For Humanspace (and other D&D-like games)... hmm, I'll have to think about that.

    And yeah, I'm all for space looting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. In the past, my group has used RolePlay onLine for pbp games:

    http://rpol.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. "You're in too if still interested."

    Definitely, looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Risus Monkey: We'd like to learn more about your experience with setting up a Google site for Play by Post--it's something that we've been considering for Zalchis...

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Netherwerks: Send me an email at RisusMonkey AT gmail DOT com and I'll invite you to browse the Google Site that I created for my Lankhmar play-by-post game. I can also give you a bit of a tutorial and answer any questions that you might have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...