Thursday, February 24, 2011

Out of the Drum My Henchmen!

 OUT OF THE DRUM MY HENCHMEN! 

ALL MANNER OF EVIL POWERS WALKED THE EARTH

 DANIEL WAVED HIS SWORD

 HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR THAT HORSE?

IVAN GOLIK DREW THE BOW

 THE TSAR WENT OUT INQUIRING OF HIS PEOPLE
IF ANY HAD BEEN WRONGED 

   
 THE WIND CAME AND SWEPT ALL OF HIS CORN AWAY 

THE GIRL DROVE THE HEIFER OUT TO GRAZE

THE TSARIVNA AROSE FROM HER COFFIN

 THE RULERS OF HELL LAID HANDS UPON
THE OVERSEER STRAIGHT AWAY 

HIS WIFE CARESSED AND WHEEDLED HIM

 SUDDENLY SAINT PETER APPEARED TO HIM 


A discussion about illustrating C. Kutalik's Domain Game rules at Hill Cantons reminded me of Noel Nisbet's illustrations from Cossack Fairy Tales and Folk Tales (1916).  I think Nisbit's work is really evocative and fantastic  plus there are the representations of various themes that I associate with the  Domain Game-demonic beings, agriculture, horse trading, vampires, odd headgear, a winged Tsar, and a drum full of henchmen.

6 comments:

  1. They're a beautiful set of pictures, really good artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics. However, I'm in a silly mood today. I have a weird penchant to MSTie those captions!

    OUT OF THE DRUM MY HENCHMEN!

    Mike: "And thus the game 'Barrel of Monkeys' was created."

    ALL MANNER OF EVIL POWERS WALKED THE EARTH

    Tom: "They became known as the Tea Party Express!"

    DANIEL WAVED HIS SWORD

    Crow: "And he was immediately arrested for indecent exposure!"

    HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR THAT HORSE?

    Tom: "Hey! I'm not pimping out my sister, Mac!"

    IVAN GOLIK DREW THE BOW

    Mike: (Like Sean Connery) "Just like a Ruskie to bring a bow to a snake fight!"

    THE TSAR WENT OUT INQUIRING OF HIS PEOPLE IF ANY HAD BEEN WRONGED

    Crow: "Anyone who said they had been were immediately beheaded."

    THE WIND CAME AND SWEPT ALL OF HIS CORN AWAY

    Tom: "Mike, I don't think I like this version of 'The Grapes of Wrath.'"

    THE GIRL DROVE THE HEIFER OUT TO GRAZE

    Mike: "But enough about her mother!"

    THE TSARIVNA AROSE FROM HER COFFIN

    Tom: "I didn't know that the Romanov's shopped at Hot Topic!"

    THE RULERS OF HELL LAID HANDS UPON THE OVERSEER STRAIGHT AWAY

    Crow: "Then they game him a swirly, a purple-nurple, and then pants him and made him walk into study hall."

    HIS WIFE CARESSED AND WHEEDLED HIM

    Mike: "Then drowned him in the well after she coxed the truth about that affair in Vladivostok.'"

    SUDDENLY SAINT PETER APPEARED TO HIM

    Tom: "To remind him to take his Haldol."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance we'll see stats for the Drum of Henchmen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @School Master
    Glad you indulged your silliness, as it was worth a few laughs here.

    I like the Slavic pagan vibe in these sketches. There's a color drawing (not shown here) with this serpent priestess that is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Angry Lurker: Happy that you liked them. I may have to dig through all the public domain art I;ve collected over the years and post more...

    @schoolmaster: ha...and I thought some of the original captions were funny...

    @C'nor: I'd say that is likely.

    @ckutalik: I like the snake priestess illustration also. Good luck with the art search.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do wonder if the whole "Drum of Henchmen" thing would pass muster with the Guild of Calamitous Intent.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...