Wednesday, January 12, 2011

NEWS OF THE STARTLING UNIVERSE OF THE FUTURE’S PAST

 
Aethervox archivist Chirene has generously offered to provide consultation for this project and information from rare source materials that contain details on Professor M.A.R. Barker’s view of the time of the Ancients.  Chirene informed me of The Tongue of Those Who JourneyBeyond: Sunuz, Prof. Barker’s  dissertation on the Sunuz language used in pre-Collapse Humanspace.  A description of the article notes that it is “not merely an article about one of the arcane languages of the Five Empires, rather “[i]t is intended as a ‘consciousness-raiser: a means of introducing scholars to the study of the Pariah Deities.”   Fascinating.  

A few recent comments have concerned the possibility that this project could be submitted to the Tékumel Foundation for permission or approval.  As I understand the policy, a fan/not for profit publication must be ultimately submitted to the foundation for archival purposes.  Of course, I would love to have the Professor and the Tékumel Foundation look over this project.  I've heard that Prof. Barker has had health problems in the recent past, I hope he is recovered. 

I've had a busy week but have spent some time participating in ckutalik’s  awesome domain game.  This game is pure genius, the most fun online gaming experience I've had in a long time, better than those fantasy culture civ sims you may have paid for in the 70s.  Remember Tribes of Crane?

Also cool is Mike D.’s draft of the 1975 EPT Rules without the Petal Throne.  I’ve been trying to twist these same rules into Space Opera this week.

Before heading back to the Outer Zone I would like to thank all supporters of this project and issue a general call for assistance, art, and ideas.  Maybe if I can think of a way to make a game out of it…

Public domain image above appeared as the cover of Startling Stories  Summer 1946.




3 comments:

  1. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Editing tends to be my most immediately useful skill.

    And thanks for the props on the game, a big chunk of what has made it so stimulating and fun is due to the rampant co-creation of the play-tester crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the Foundation especially if you're going the fan/not-for-profit route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Schoolmaster: I concur. The fan/not-for-profit publishing guidelines seem very generous and not at all overly proprietary. One would not be able to implement a similar project for Glorantha...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...